Verifying your business’s location with Google through Google Local+, also known as Google Places, has a number of benefits:
- You can take control of the map listing that shows up when a potential customer clicks to find out more about your business.
- You can change information as needed if you move or change your business name.
- You can connect your listing to your website and Google+ Page for easy access to more information for potential customers
- Your business location may be added to Google Earth.
Since Google is often the first place people look for businesses near them, it’s important to be listed, verified, and active on Google+.
The verification process involves an automated phone call or postcard with a PIN to to each location that needs to be verified. Once that PIN number is put into the appropriate place in the Google Places Dashboard, your business is verified. For some business owners, it’s a simple process but for companies with multiple offices, it can turn into a big production quickly. It’s also more difficult if you have a Google+ Page but haven’t verified on Google Local+ or Google Places yet or vice versa.
We’ve been working with United-Bilt Homes to get all of their 24 offices verified in a smooth and efficient manner. If you have a large business with multiple offices and you’ve hired a company like Haden Interactive to help manage online listings, there are a few steps you can take to ensure your staff is ready for the process and it goes off without a hitch.
- Make sure that we (or whatever company you’re working with) has all the appropriate information about the different offices, including the address and phone number. If you have all that information available and up to date on your website, you’re all set.
- Decide whether all offices need verification. If you have a warehouse that isn’t open to the public, for example, be sure to let us know this shouldn’t be public information.
- Contact all of the appropriate people who answer the main phone line at every office that will be verified and tell them that we will be calling to complete the process. This ensures that a receptionist is able to take action and complete the verification without checking with a manager. (Tip: If you’re worried about receptionists being able to determine a spam phone call from a fake “Google” versus the legitimate one, let them know the name of the individual or company that will be facilitating the verification process and ask receptionists to check for that information before completing the process.)
- Once all three previous steps have been completed, let us know your staff is ready.
- We will then initiate all of the verifications and make sure all the information is correct on listings.
Once a listing is verified, it can be customized to reflect more information and connected to Google+ pages, allowing an integrated and cohesive approach to your Google presence.
If this process of verifying listings on your own seems too complex or time consuming and you would like someone else to do it for you, we provide this service as part of our content marketing package. Call Julianne at 479.966.9761 to find out how we can help.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.